[78-L] Unusual LP

Bryan Wright bryan at claxtonola.com
Sat Jul 30 10:25:35 PDT 2011

"What can anyone tell me about this recording that I recently acquired
from
my local Goodwill store?  It's a 10" LP titled 'The Original Coon-
Sanders
Nighthawk Orchestra - 1927-1932 - Volume Two.'"

Are you sure it's a 10-inch LP? I have a copy of the record and mine's
a full-size 12-inch LP. I'm sure others here will chime in, but The
Old Masters label produced at least fifty LPs reissuing records of the
1920s and 1930s -- primarily hot dance bands (Fred Rich, Sam Lanin,
Coon-Sanders, Gene Kardos, etc.). Original issues were on green or
sometimes blue vinyl; later pressings are on black vinyl. The discs
were all unauthorized, of course, but some interesting material made
it out thanks to TOM. Transfer quality varies. As I recall, most of
those Coon-Sanders transfers are horribly off speed, and the
beginnings of many are clipped by fade-ins. Many early TOM LPs are
actually quite decent in terms of presenting "flat" transfers from 78s
that often sound quite good, but many later issues are marred by the
addition of artificial reverb. None of the issues I've ever seen
contain any liner notes, pictures, or other "extras." The coves just
state the band name and sometimes provide a tracklist. That's it. They
don't seem to be terribly rare; despite their cheap appearance, they
must have had fairly substantial press runs. Does anyone know how many
were pressed at a time?

Bryan W.