[78-L] Jazzfinder '49

Bill McClung bmcclung78 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 11:25:10 PDT 2011

I found a copy of "The Jazzfinder '49."  It was published by Orin Blackstone
in New Orleans with a 1949 copyright.

It is a 152-page paperback/magazine containing articles about American and
international jazz in 1948-49 (Jazz Reaches a Turning Point, New Stars in
the Making, Emergence of the Australian Style, France Rich in Young
Musicians, Britain Bounces, Scandinavia in Ferment, Glimpse of Argentina), a
16-page photo section of current New Orleans musicians, a discography of
jazz records released in 48-49, a listing of more than a thousand record
labels, and a jazz bibliography of books, booklets, and magazines.

Does anyone know if other Jazzfinder "annuals" were published and if so, can
I have them?

What was interesting is that the material treated both bebop and traditional
jazz with equal respect.  The discography lists Miles Davis and the Dixie
Five as well as three of my favorite Parkers: Charlie, Knocky, and Leo.