[78-L] Milestones Among the Tombstones

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Jul 23 21:31:04 PDT 2011

I was just discussing on the phone a few hours ago how all of the first
Columbia Lps were reissues of their 78 albums, and then Uncle Dave has
to screw things up with CL 6004 by Dinah Shore.  I'm not so sure about
that but I would need to have the 1950 Columbia catalog to be sure.
These annuals came out in around July and the 1949 which has the first
Lp release does not show 78 albums that hit the stores later than their
Lp, such as CL 6019 Christmas Songs by Sinatra which is in the 52-53
catalog as C-167 (and B-167 on 45), and CL-6015 S'Wonderful by Buddy
Clark and Dinah Shore which the 52-53 shows was on 78 as C-166 (no 45
listed).  The 52-53 does not show a 78 or 45 for Dinah's CL 6004, BUT
maybe the 1950 catalog would.   Besides having three columns for the
numbers for the three speeds, the 52-53 catalog has another difference
from the older ones -- it tends not to show the individual 3_000 78
number for sides in a set, just the set number.  Asit is I am alittle
surprised to see that apparently these three Lps appeared before their
78 sets did, and that maybe 6004 had no 78 set.

Since I have it sitting here I looked to see what the 52-53 catalog says
about CL-6128 Abe Burrows Sings? which has a 1950 copyright date and a
full illustrated cover (signed Velae).  The catalog shows the Lp but no
78 or 45.  But that doesn't mean that it did not have them.  What we
need is a full numerical of all of the albums.  Some of the late 78
albums might have gone in and out of print without ever hitting an
annual catalog.  Note that this album is lower numbered than the Walter
Gross album Lennick mentions, and it also shows only the Lp number, but
yet there are some albums in this series,  such  as CL-6200 by Frankie
Laine, which was issued on 78 and 45 as C-287 and B-287..

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com