[78-L] 78-L WOODY'S BAND (was Greatest addicts)

JD jackson1932 at cfl.rr.com
Sat Jul 23 18:58:30 PDT 2011

> Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 13:04:11 -0700
> From: Cary Ginell <soundthink at live.com>
> Subject: Re: [78-L] Greatest addicts
> To: <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
>

> More per capita than most were in Woody Herman's Second Herd. The Four
> Brothers (Getz, Cohn, Sims, and Chaloff) were all strung out. If they
> weren't on heroin, they were on dope. Woody and Bill Harris were
> alcoholics.
>
> Cary Ginell

Although he was on the band at some point during that period Al Cohn was
definitely not one of the "Four Brothers".
They were Getz, Sims, Herbie Steward and Chaloff.

   > "If they weren't on heroin, they were on dope."    Heroin isn't dope???

Some of those guys cleaned up in later years and became top session players
in NYC, in particular Bernie Glow, one of the greatest of lead trumpet
players and a true gentleman.  If Woody had been a heavy boozer (I have my
doubts) , he too may have straightened out. In late 1954 I spent a very
pleasant afternoon with him when he played Ft. Knox.
He'd been invited to spend the afternoon at the home of a colonel who
fancied himself a song writer and I'd been selected to write out the tunes &
play them for Woody. Woody had no idea of why he'd been invited and this
could have been a situation of major annoyance for him. Instead he was
completely gracious, seemed genuinely interested , sight sang the tunes over
my shoulder and sowed absolutely no signs of having been an "alcoholic".

When discussing "Great Addicts" there are plenty of better places to look
than the music business.
JD