[78-L] Amy Winehouse

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Sat Jul 23 11:51:07 PDT 2011

At 18:25 23/07/2011, CG wrote:

>She'll be exploded into a musical media martyr now, no matter what
>the quality of her work was (I was not a fan; in fact, I was kind of
>repelled by her).

On a peer basis she was far better than drivel on the radio today.
One may argue that this is not saying much. I always felt that her
voice had a 'blues/soul/ r&b' tint to it and that with the right
direction could have matured to be part of many genre.

I agree that she was 'repellant' with her tattoos and piercings and
general presence -- drunkenness and drugged out. To some of 'our
generation' this is rather disgusting, but apparently not to her
peers. I have to wonder how many of us would have reacted to, say,
Billie Holiday, given a similar environment.

To a very big extent, I think that the evil that is the music biz
today simply chewed her up and spit her out and really didn't give a
rat's a$$ about her destructive nature or their part in sustaining it.