[78-L] ethnic recordings

Malcolm - Venerable Music malcolm at venerablemusic.com
Fri Jul 8 11:11:01 PDT 2011

Hey Mal - As far as I know, nothing has been done post WWII. I use the
Spottswood set Ethnic Music on Records quite often, but it can be
frustrating as it only lists recordings made in the US, which leaves lots of
holes.
I've recently been (especially) into Greek records and have the hardest time
finding information on them, pre & post-war. It does seem like there are
many more reissues of ethnic 78s then there used to be. It's part of what
has helped me to discover how great some of this music is.
I just purchased the To What Strange Place 3-disc set on Tompkins Square
(Amazon Link here - http://tinyurl.com/6hx9npy). Got it in yesterday & have
already listened to every disc twice - highly recommended! The set is very
well done & the notes are nice even though they do not contain the names or
numbers of the original records (I know, along with others here, I'm
probably one of the few who would care for such information).

It sure would be nice to have some of the other styles of ethnic records get
the same "Rockwell" treatment as Hawaiian has - ha!
Malcolm in GA

Venerable Music - http://www.venerablemusic.com
Venerable Radio - http://www.venerableradio.com
78rpm Record Auctions - http://www.vmauctions.com