[78-L] Aaron Sachs (was Whither Manor?)

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 7 15:25:11 PDT 2011

Cary,

Thanks for tipping in about Aaron Sachs and adding that Terry Gibbs was involved in that session. I'm working on
the Manor Wiki as well as it is especially bad.

Irving Berman was a piece of work; I've been going through the various Billboard articles that mention him and other
sources. One of the Dixie Hummingbirds told Jerry Zolten that Berman wouldn't pay them in cash, just in records, which
they sold at their appearances. They looked at it as being something better than nothing at all and on the way to a real
recording contract, which they did eventually get. Berman sued RCA Victor, and won, in order to pay off his debt to the Harry
Fox Agency. However, he bought a bunch of Disc masters from Moe Asch, put out some of the JATP stuff on one of his
labels and then sued Mercury. Wrong idea; it put him out of business.

Uncle Dave Lewis
uncledavelewis at hotmail.com