[78-L] Retrospective CD-Rs - Nimbus

Alan Bunting alanbuntinguk at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 5 16:05:48 PDT 2011

Retrospective CDs are produced and marketed by Wyastone Estate, also responsible for Nimbus, Lyrita and several other labels.

They are  CD-Rs produced using a "Disc On Demand" system described here:

http://www.wyastone.co.uk/nimbus-disc-print

All but a couple of the Retrospective CDs issued so far are based on original Living Era issues which were originally compiled and produced by Ray Crick who is now in charge of the Retrospective operation.

None of the CDs are exact copies of the original Living Eras - all of the tracks have been "revisited" and many are much improved on the original issues, the restorations of which date from the 1990s in some cases. Some collections have had a few track additions/changes due to the fact that desirable tracks have come out of the 50 year copyright period since the original issue. The comprehensive booklets are in the usual Living Era tradition providing full discographical details, personnel etc.

There have been some very favourable and welcoming reviews for the label in several British magazines which deal with the nostalgia market and on UK Amazon, with the Al Bowlly 2CD collection being especially commended.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bowlly-Love-Sweetest-Thing-1931-1941/dp/B003UFMK3W/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1309701605&sr=1-1

I can't comment on sales and future plans as I only do the restorations and prepare the masters but I've certainly done enough recently to ensure a couple of issues a month in the forseeable future.

Alan Bunting