[78-L] Joe Venuti Discography Wiki

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Wed Jun 29 06:14:23 PDT 2011

It seems that the Tempo TT-2200 series is 10".
2230 & 2236 were released with prob. 8 tracks each.
Maybe the front of 2230 had been designed/printed (listing the 5 titles for the 6 tracks),
when it was decided to make an 8-track LP with different contents.

Most likely the 12" LPs were later issues, taking material from the 10"s, but certainly
not careful compilations for collectors.
It is good to see the 45s listed on the 45-rpm sleeve. Have not checked it, but pres.
they contain recent (1949) recordings.
When I doubted their existence at first, I was thinking of 78rpm issues.

Note that a Tops {or other cheap label) LP is attributed to musicians XX & YY, this does not
confirm that they are present on all tracks (or even are present at all in some cases).
So even if Laurenz is present on all, Venuti may be only on a single session.

han enderman
===
>>> In the process of following the thread of the material you all kindly submitted yesterday, I've found a couple of interesting discographical nuggets:

The Pan American Material with singer John Laurenz all eventually found its way onto Tops in the early LP era. In fact Tops L 101 -- their first 10" LP -- was "Six All-Time Hits" by Laurenz and Venuti. There is a second LP, and it appears only two of these titles appear in Garrod's disco:

L 923 - Twilight on the Trail - John Laurenz with Joe Venuti Orchestra [195?] Sweetheart
Of The Rio Grande/Boots And Saddle/Twilight On The Trail//Silver On The Sage/South Of The
Border/My Ol' Ten Gallon Hat

as per http://www.bsnpubs.com/pri/tops10.html

Also ran into a Billboard article from 4-28-1951 that explains the existence of those 5-album Tempo sets, entitled "Promotion at Rapid Tempo: Philco Places 500G Order As Freebies to Distribs." In a nutshell, Philco purchased 20,000 albums at a cost of 500 grand to mass produce these sets as promos for dealers of their radio-phono and radio-phono-TV sets. The transaction is called "one of the largest single disk purchases ever made," and indeed, may have been the largest promo order of all time. The Tempo records were chosen for their high frequency response and the quality of the vinyl, according to the piece in Billboard.

Uncle Dave Lewis
uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
<<<