[78-L] Who dat?

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jun 28 10:49:05 PDT 2011

On 28/06/11 18:44, Malcolm Rockwell wrote:
> On my way to locate a record that's still being elusive I found a Presto
> lacquer of an unknown piano player doing Maple Leaf Rag, Hobson Street
> Blues and Cannon Ball (Rag) as piano solos. The last two are on one side
> and MLR is on the other. They're all under 2 minutes each and the piano
> player is pretty good, ala Fats Waller, but I don't think it's him and
> it's certainly not James P! Probably recorded post WW2.
> Any ideas?
> Mal
> It could be from these sessions:
Marvin Ash

Jazz Piano Of Marvin Ash:
Marvin Ash (p)
Santa Monica, Ca., mid 1940's
     Cannon ball    Fairmont LPM-104
     Sugar            -
     Lonesome lovesick blues            -
     Peg o' my heart            -
     Tin roof blues            -
     Smokey mokes            -
     Maple leaf rag            -
     These foolish things            -
     Squeeze me            -
     You took advantage of me            -
     Take me to the midnight cakewalk ball            -
Note: Unknown source, previously unissued, prob from Capitol transscriptions

Marvin Ash
Marvin Ash (p) Morty Corb (b) (1) John Freeling (d) (2) Ray Bauduc (d) (3)
"Rendezvous Ballroom', Santa Monica, September 1947
     Pearl house rag    Fairmont LPM-104
     Hobson Street blues (version 1)(1,2)            -
     Hobson Street blues (version 2)(1,3)            -

      Julian Vein