[78-L] Joe Venuti Discography Wiki

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Tue Jun 28 06:21:20 PDT 2011

Tempo TR-416-A is titled "Skeleton At Midnight (Danse Macabre)"; there is no group name,
but several musicians are mentioned, with Venuti first.

I have never seen an US Tempo 78 issue with a catnr above TR-1268.
Surprisingly there are large gaps in the numerical sequence of available images;
the earliest known Tempo is 410 by Venuti (Zone 28).
Is it possible (and very likely I think) that Tempo 4530 does not exist at all, but is an error ?

Note that the 10" LPs are actually reissues, and thus the "reissue" section in Wiki
refers only to prewar material.

Now something odd. I have images of: Tempo TT-2230 Vignettes by Venuti (10" LP).
On front 5 tunes are shown: Summertime/Star Dust/Estrellita/Kreutzer No.27/Loose-Bow Boogie.
On back, however, the following 8 are listed:
Stardust/Tea For Two/Everything You Do/The Hot Canary/Summertime Pt.1 & 2/
Lady Be Good/Santa Lucia.
What is on this LP actually ??
Does Garrod mention this (I do not have it at hand) ?
Considering release nrs, is TT-2000 series 12" and TT-2200s 10" ?

han enderman

===

Joe Venuti and his violin. Italy's two greatest accordionists/Wolmer Beltrami and Francesco Ferrari. (Tempo TT-2056, 1950s)
Recorded in Hollywood and Los Angeles, 1946 (Venuti)
Summertime (Part 1 & 2) -- Kreutzer no. 27 -- Everything you do -- Loose-bow boogie -- Santa Lucia -- Slightly frantic -- Baby's sleepy now -- Dreaming out loud -- I've waited so long -- Higgledy-piggledy -- Harem serenade

Pietro Gentile, Joe Venuti: Musical milestones of the Jewish people (Tempo TR 516/518/520, 1940s 78 rpm set)
Pietro Gentile, vocals ; Joe Venuti, violins, and ensemble
Eli, Eli -- Rachem = Mercy -- A Yiddishe momme = A Jewish mother -- Oy der rebbenu = Oh, the rabbi -- A dudele -- Meirke mein suhn = Meyer, my son

Joe Venuti and his violin. Galla-Rini and his accordion (Tempo TT-2008)
Joe Venuti is on side one (recorded 1949); Galla-Rini is on side two
Stardust -- Tea for two -- Filigree -- Lady, be good -- Estrellita -- The hot canary -- Mardi gras -- Come back to Sorrento -- Ritual fire dance -- Down south -- Pavanne -- Lover, come back to me

Joe Venuti and Bobby Maxwell (Tempo TT-2236; 1950s)
Joe Venuti, violin and Bobby Maxwell, harp; Recorded ca. 1949
Alexander's ragtime band -- It ain't necessarily so -- Caravan -- Dance macabre (with Brother Bones) -- Honeysuckle rose -- September song -- Busybody -- Meet me tonight in Dreamland

Uncle Dave Lewis
---
Tempo 416 - Joe Venuti and Bobby Maxwell: Danse Macabre (ca. 1946)/It Ain't Necessarily So (ca. 1946)
Tempo 4530 - Joe Venuti and Bobby Maxwell: Skeletons at Midnight (ca. 1946)/It Ain't Necessarily So (ca. 1946) Despite the variance in title, Tempo 4530 is identical to 416.
---
GREAT record..titled "Skeletons At Midnight" on the 78 issue.
Joe Venuti and Bobby Maxwell (Tempo TT-2236) [10"LP]
Joe Venuti, violin and Bobby Maxwell, harp; Recorded ca. 1949
-- Dance macabre (with Brother Bones) --
-----
There IS a discography published by the Charles Garrod, but I found a number of
things missing from it such as Joe's incredibly corny soupy swoopy violin
playing on the Don Blandings album on Tempo. But it's here if any more info is
wanted.
dl
===