[78-L] Need info about Columbia T-series circa 1912

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Mon Jun 27 05:27:17 PDT 2011

There are several Columbia series and label types listing the Brazil patents.
Most common is the T series, but there were also S-, Y- and B- series.
These patents disappear on the flag labels, but are shown along the lower rim in
Grafonola & Notense las Notas (Note the Notes) labels.
I assume all are US pressings. This is confirmed by those pressings with the
"gold band" label which have the 2-letter printing date code (well-known from the A-series).

Not clear to me is if Columbia issued 2 versions of certain (all?) releases during some time.
The highest numbered Magic Notes label image without Bz patents I have is T-423,
so this may have been produced for the US market (first available image is T-6).
With the Bz patents as described by Adam, the releases known are in the range
T-112 - T-793; these labels also have a "Registrada" legend at right of the Magic Notes logo.

Only T-155 has been seen in both variants, i.e. Magic Notes label without & with the Brazil
patents. This is Arturo Navas: "El Criollo Americano / La Vida del Garretero".
I do not know if these are US recordings.
Maybe some dgs (Columbia; ethnic) can be checked for this series or issue ?!
And is there info in trade journals from the 1910s ?

The S- series has the same Bz patents & registration legends, and has a conspicuous
label type, the blue-greyish or creamy with gold "Disco Doble Columbia"
(colors are difficult to ascertain on photo images).

han enderman
===
>>> I have several Columbia Phonograph Co 78s (so pre-Jan 1913) which all
bear the incription at the base:
"PATENTES BRAZILEIRAS 6165, 6166"
which implies they were pressed there for the South American market.

They have serial numbers in the T3xx to T7xx range.
A scan is at http://www.78rpm.net.nz/78s/images/GORI%201912.jpg
and a second at http://www.78rpm.net.nz/78s/images/de%20bassi.jpg

Two have Argentinian copyright stamps, the ilustrated one has an Italian one.

I just want to confirm if they are Brazilian pressings.

Thanks

Adam.
<<<