[78-L] Odd CBS Domestic/Foreign Release

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Sun Jun 26 14:07:36 PDT 2011

The Co 10000 series (without suffix) has red microphone labels.
At first with a "short" 2-line legend below the label name.
This is the type with the name COLUMBIA longer than the legend, without patent numbers,
and including Made in U.S.A.
Repressings may have the single-line legend (ca. 1954 in "Note The Notes")..
Examples are:
10005 F.Yankovic
10050 Piaf - Vie en rose & 10054 Piaf - FRENCH
10072 & 77 GREEK
10092 Tokyo Boogie Woogie
10097 Yankovic (described as SLOVENIAN).
These are all the images I have, all apparently "foreign" music.

There was of course a 10000-F prewar ethnic series.

han enderman
===
>>> Columbia 10101

Patachou avec Leo Clarens et son Orchestre
(CO-48683) Histoire de Roses
(CO-48684) Tire L'Aiguille (Lai, Lai, Lai)

This is a *U.S.* pressing and the matrix indicates recording in NYC in late 1952. Patachou had just begun her recording career.
I am not familiar with a Columbia 10100 series of any kind, letter suffix or no.

- Uncle Dave Lewis
---
The French original 78 was released on Philips in February 1952:
N72051H Histoire de roses/ Tire l'aiguille
Recorded in Paris
---
By any chance is it a Canadian pressing? Canadian Columbia (Sparton) issued
many French records for the Quebec market but most of them were dubbed in New
York. If you were lucky, the dubs were from master tapes, but quite often they
were from shellac pressings and full of wow.
dl
<<<