[78-L] Odd CBS Domestic/Foreign Release

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 25 21:25:20 PDT 2011

Columbia 10101

Patachou avec Leo Clarens et son Orchestre
(CO-48683) Histoire de Roses
(CO-48684) Tire L'Aiguille (Lai, Lai, Lai)

This is a *U.S.* pressing and the matrix indicates recording in NYC in late 1952. Patachou had just begun her recording career. I am not familiar with a Columbia 10100 series of any kind, letter suffix or no.

Wackypedia, in its article on Philips, reads:

Philips Records is a record label that was founded by Dutch electronics company Philips. It was started as "Philips Phonographische Industrie" (PPI) in 1950.
 Recordings were made with popular artists of various nationalities and
also with classical artists from Germany, France and Holland. Philips
also distributed recordings made by the US Columbia Records
 on the European continent. After the separation of English Columbia and
 American Columbia by the end of 1954, Philips also started distributing
 original Columbia recordings on the Philips label in Great Britain.

Well, this appears to be an "original Columbia recording" made with a Philips artist in 1952. I would assume that it would have been distributed overseas.

Uncle Dave Lewis
uncledavelewis at hotmail.com