[78-L] Swing Classics

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Sat Jun 25 10:17:39 PDT 2011

Greetings from FixitLand!

agp wrote:

> So am I to understand that 20-1715-A does not say Swing Classic on
> the label (while the B does), or is mislabeled as such?

Not mislabeled. 20-1715-A "There You Go" (vocal by Stuart Foster) is
a slow ballad, was not deemed to be a "Swing Classic" so has the
standard label. 20-1715-B "Boogie Woogie" -- well, the title speaks
for itself. Like the original issue, this side has the SC label. It's
not uncommon to see a Victor record labeled as a Swing Classic on one
side only; that's the case with Tommy Dorsey's famous Victor 25523
("Song Of India" is SC, "Marie" is not), as well as his two 12-inch
1941 couplings 36396 ("Without A Song" non-SC, "Deep River" is SC)
and 36399 ("For You" non-SC, "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" is SC). There
are quite a few others.

Han Enderman wrote:

> Also with Swing Classic label on repressings:
> Vic 25041 & 25065 Gene Gifford,
> Vic 25024 Goodman (actually I have not seen the orig. label).
> Vic 25019 Mezzrow
> (from available images).

Good to know. I have non-SC copies of the Mezzrow and Goodman, don't
yet have copies of the Giffords. I checked my cache of label scans --
turns out I do have scans of Victor 25024 (the whole disc) as SC, but
not of the other ones mentioned.

And so far, no one's reported a number lower than 25019 on Swing
Classic. Makes sense, since that number is from 1935. Earlier sides
were, however, reissued on occasion with SC labels (example -- the
Duke Ellington Panorama album P-138).

Take care,

Joe
--
"Work--other people's work--is an intolerable idea to a cat. Can you
picture cats herding sheep or agreeing to pull a cart? They will not