[78-L] Swing Classics

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Fri Jun 24 12:42:55 PDT 2011

Greetings from FixitLand!

Rodger Holtin wrote:

> Since the activity is slow I'll toss in a question that might get
> one answer or a lot of .... well...
>
> Is there a listing of the Victor Swing Classics?  When did they
> cease?  I've never seen one with the RCA Victor label

I don't have a listing here at work, and it would take some time to
build one. They do indeed exist on RCA Victor...two that come to mind
are RCA Victor 20-2086 and 20-2087 by Louis Armstrong. And, of
course, late pressings of prewar numbers continued the "Swing
Classic" designation. The first SC, as we know, is Victor 25320 "Star
Dust" by Tommy Dorsey and Benny Goodman. Lower numbers with SC labels
are repressings; for instance, Victor 25090 "King Porter"/"Sometimes
I'm Happy" by Benny Goodman. Trying to think if I've ever seen a SC
label on a number much lower than that. 25081 (BG) exists on SC.
25024 (also BG) *probably* does. Can anyone report a lower number
with "Swing Classic" reissue labels? As for when they ended, I don't
think there are any after 1947, but I can't be sure here at work.

It's a pretty safe bet that "A Symposium Of Swing" (set C-28;
36205/8) contains the first instances of "Swing Classic" label use on
12-inch Victors...and those are NOT Scrolls (issued very shortly
after the change to Rings), at least not in the US. (Was there a
Chinese or South American issue? The latter, especially, WOULD be
Scrolls, which were used in Argentina into 1940.)

Take care,

J. E. Knox "The Victor Freak"