[78-L] JATP Albums on Disc and Mercury Label Records

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Thu Jun 23 06:43:06 PDT 2011

The program does not belong to a 78rpm set but was the program for the
7th National Tour: Fall, 1948.
The nr of the tour is given in the intro, and the Wiki overview gives this date.

Note that for some musicians it is said to be their first or second JATP tour,
but when I looked into my (old) New Grove Jazz the tour was not mentioned
under Tommy Potter & Al Haig, for ex.

There was a single Asch album (453), but I have images of 2 different Stinson covers,
one as on Asch (grey with the red trumpeter), and another one showing Carnegie Hall
and a sax player in red on a greyish background.
Issues on Disc & Clef are a bit confusing to me, since there are JATP numbers but
also release numbers.
Highest 78rpm JATP album nrs I have seen are JATP-5 on Disc, and 7 on Clef.
Mercury issued at least 2-14.
There was a How High The Moon album (blue cover) on Mer, but I'm not sure if it is JATP 1 or 2.
A single image of Mer JATP vol.2 cover (contents unknown) is red, with sax player (with
sax & hat like Lester ).

Did Thomas never compile a list?

han enderman
===
>>> They started with Asch, then Disc.  With JATP 4 coming out in 1947 it would have been Disc that it first came out on.  I have most of these sets and they span various labels - Disc, Asch, Mercury, Clef.  I have not found any with inserts though so that's a nice bonus.  Thanks for sharing.

Here's the "unofficial" chronology from Wackypedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_at_the_Philharmonic

Glenn