[78-L] Ever Ready Gospel Singers Resolution

Frank Scott scottfrank at toast2.net
Wed Jun 22 10:31:46 PDT 2011

According to Hayes & Laughton's Gospel Discography the Ever-Ready Gospel
singers recorded two sides for the Shaw label in June 1956 that were
unissued. There's no listing for the Shaw label in the R&B Indies (except
for a later one based in New York) . The two titles have ACA matrix numbers
indicating they were rceorded at ACA studios in Houston - maybe the label
went out of business before it got started!

FRank

The
> > Ever Ready Gospel Singers, a group which sings a style of gospel music
> > called Southland gospel; and
> >
> > WHEREAS, a short time after The Ever Ready Gospel Singers was formed, it
> > became the first black group to appear on the superstation KWKH and it
> > developed a large following which led to hectic touring schedules in the
> > tri-state area and across the country; and
> >
> > WHEREAS, The Ever Ready Gospel Singers recorded its music on the Abbott
> > Record Label (Hollywood, California) in 1954; on the Shaw Label
(Houston,
> > Texas) in 1957; on the Peacock Label (Houston, Texas) with Bobby "Blue"
> > Bland in 1959, and on Sitting In Records (New York City) in 1959; and
> >
> > WHEREAS, The Ever Ready Gospel Singers was featured on KSLA Television
on
> > show called "Hallelujah Train" from 1977 until the mid-eighties; and
> >
> > WHEREAS, Fortune Stephenson joined the group in 1948, and Frank Edwards
> > joined the group in 1951 at the age of 14 years; and
> >
> > WHEREAS, The Ever Ready Gospel Singers has featured many performers
> > throughout the years including Eddie Jackson, Robert Broussard, Curtis
> > Kimble, Rev. Fred Smith, Nathaniel Bills, Robert Hardin, Rev. George
> > Coleman, James Jones, and Booker Miles, the core of the group has always
> > been Charles Graves - 2nd tenor, Elbert Green - bass, Fortune Stephenson
-
> > baritone, and Frank Edwards - 1st tenor; andEver
> > (http://www.shreveportla.gov/ccmin/99_97/ccsep297.htm)
> >
> > ***
> > The Ever Readys Peacock (1802/1959; 45 rpm) and Abbott (149, 158/1954)
> are
> > known. If "Sitting In Records (New York City)" means Bob Shad's label
> > Sittin' In With, than there is no way the Ever Readys could have
recorded
> > with them in 1959; perhaps 1949 is meant. The Gospel part of the Sittin'
In
> > catalog is very sparsely populated, and I have no idea what these
records
> > might have been.
> >
> > Likewise, I've never heard of "Shaw Records" in Houston or elsewhere.
Could
> > be a misreading of "Shad Records" but that label didn't record any
Gospel