[78-L] Kitty, Daisy & Lewis 78 set

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Tue Jun 21 14:35:18 PDT 2011

Finally received the Kitty, Daisy & Lewis 78 rpm album that I ordered nearly two months ago. The shipment came from Spain, which can often cause delays like this.

Kitty, Daisy & Lewis Durham are a young sibling trio from North London who are enamored with American roots music. Lewis is the tech wizard of the group, acquiring and restoring vintage 78 cutting gear which he stores in his apartment. The trio's first collection, which came out in 2008, was recorded at their home and was issued in a variety of formats: CD, 12-inch vinyl, 45 rpm vinyl singles, and a handsome five-pocket 10-inch 78 rpm album, designed 1940s style, complete with cloth spine with embossed gold letters. This would be worth getting even if the music was Ken Griffin, but the band is excellent. Vocals by the two girls are quirky and take some getting used to, but the guitar work, primitive rhythm, and harmonica (kind of modeled after early Dylan) is first rate and infectious. Every order of the 78 set comes with a complimentary CD which has 3 bonus tracks on it. There are no liner notes or any kind of interior art; the package was expensive enough to produce. Vinyl is good quality and extremely quiet. I paid 50 euros for the set (about $71.50 US) which isn't bad for five 78s and a CD. The tracks on the 78 set are:

Going Up the Country (the Canned Heat version of Henry Thomas's "Bull Doze Blues")
Buggin' Blues (Lewis Durham original)
Polly Put the Kettle On (not the traditional fiddle tune)
Honolulu Rock-a Roll-a (from the Moon Mullican King record of 1956)
I Got My Mojo Working (the Muddy Waters classic)
Mean Son of a Gun (from Johnny Horton's early Mercury sessions)
Hillbilly Music (not familiar with this one - written by John Laurence Key)
Mohair Sam (from Charlie Rich's Smash sessions)
Ooo Wee ( a Louis Jordan jumper)
Swinging Hawaii (rockabilly instrumental with a grass skirt)

The Durhams have another 78 album that just came out last month called "Smoking in Heaven," consisting of mostly original tunes (on eight 78 rpm discs!) that expand into other genres such as reggae, however, you're not going to find that one cheap. Most copies are sold for around $125 and are autographed but there's one on eBay now for $113.47. If you're going to buy one of their sets (and every 78 collector who likes '50s roots music should have one), go for the first set. Some of their music videos are viewable on YouTube; eccentric and fun.

Cary Ginell