[78-L] eBay ranting

Omar Facelli gaucho at netgate.com.uy
Sun Jun 19 10:39:33 PDT 2011

My 2 cents contribution to the thread:

         Way back into the early 2000's, I used to post all records
at $9.99 starting bid with no reserve, no matter if a more or less
common record or a high prized operatic blue zonofono or a 7" Berliner.
At first it worked well with the better records attracting more or
less fair market prices.
But after some time, I've noticed that some regular bidders started
to be more "selective" in both ways.
I mean:
Way 1) first bidding on only the better records, leaving behind the
more common and thus making the relation "record posting - resulting
profit" less and less attractive for a dealer which as myself doesn't
have any income other than selling collectible stuff on-line. This of
course, was a fair practice, which even though hurting my business I
had no recourse against it other than trying to get rarer records
which is, as a matter of fact, a difficult task, ten years ago, and
much worst nowadays.
Way 2) Some of these bidders stopped bidding against each other
letting records end in much lower prices and sort of dividing the
auction block between each other. This unfair fact which happens much
more than often on regular live auctions, brought me to the decision
to lift up starting bids at higher figures in the hope that the more
valuable records would be ended at least at low fair market prices.
Believe me, I know several regular bidders stopped buying from me (I
know some even got mad at me), being most of them unaware of this
fact, and I know a small bunch was very aware of this. Would you bid
against a fellow collector knowing that this could be avoided in
advance by sending a short notice before the auctions ends?

I know a lot of you will jump at the assumption that most rarer
records will find a 3rd or fourth interested party at auction. I've
also learnt that most seasoned collectors already have most of the
records they wanted in this life. It's quite an exception that a
record gets fought by a bunch of interested parties, not a rule of
thumb at all. So as a dealer who makes his living by selling rare
stuff, you've got to be covered otherwise you're out of business just
like that underselling the real rare and more wanted discs.

As I said, just my 2 cents.

Omar in Uruguay