[78-L] Carter Family

Benno Häupl goldenbough at arcor.de
Sat Jun 18 08:10:41 PDT 2011

There were 99 copies pressed of the 5 record set.
99 copies, just like the first Flyright LPs, too. Because UK legislation
then permitted to have 'less than 100' copies manufactured without
paperwork or permission being involved (copyright, ownership of
the recordings...). Obviously RCA Victor had no problem pressing
such a low run. I seem to remember that the manufacture of the Carter
Family set was in fact ordered via HMV in Hayes. Hence 99 copies.
And hence RCA's willingness to fulfil such a request.

Discographical information on early hillbilly music was scarce in those
days, and several people (like David Freeman, Eugene Earle, Bob Pinson
and others, including myself) were trying to find out if unreleased material
was still available somewhere in the vaults. We were looking for unissueds
by, say, Grayson & Whitter, Narmour & Smith, Soileau & Robin, J.P. Nestor,
Alfred Karnes, Blind Alfred Reed, Guidry & Babineaux and many others

I had sent a list of maybe 40 'Wants' to Chet Atkins in Nashville and to my
surprise he actually checked if there were masters available. Some of the
missing numbers turned out to be by pop or classical artists. The crop,
however, was - nil.

At about the same time, somebody must have found these hitherto unpublished
Carter Family masters, so COUNTRY NEWS & VIEWS found a way to have
pressed 99 copies of the 5-record set.

I have a complete set here since the late 1960's, if anybody's interested.

Benno