[78-L] Waring's "Freshie" -- alternate take!

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Thu Jun 16 12:06:12 PDT 2011

Greetings from FixitLand!

Julian Vein responded to my post:

>> I've just come across a low-fi transfer of what appears to be Take 2
>> of "Freshie" by Waring's Pennsylvanians, source unknown. My copy of
>> Victor 19784-A has PBVE 141-4, as quoted on the EDVR. Was Take 2
>> actually also issued on the 78, or is there an LP and/or CD floating
>> around? I checked the RCA Victor Vintage Waring LP; that title's not
>> on it.
>>
>> The "story" of PBVE 141, according to EDVR (details added):
>>
>> Symphony Hall, Music Art Studio Building [232 S. Hill St.], Los
>> Angeles, 7 September 1925.
>> [Recorded at 77.00 rpm]
>>
>> -1  Destroyed
>> -2  "Master/hold"
>> -3  Destroyed
>> -4  "Hold/master" (Victor 19784)
>>
>> It appears that Take 2 was chosen as the Master initially, but
>> relegated in favor of Take 4 at some point. EDVR shows no issue of
>> Take 2.
>>
>> Main difference between the two is at about 2:16, where the band
>> chants "By gosh we'll pull his panties down and (clap clap clap clap)
>> SPANK IT..." On Take 2, the word "panties" is in the same pitch, but
>> in Take 4, the first syllable is emphasized slightly and raised in
>> pitch ("PAN-ties"). Other than that, I don't discern any real
>> difference.
>>
>> Anyone know about the issue of PBVE 141-2?
>
> The new ADBD only lists -4. I have a Waring CD on TOM which is vol.2.
> Perhaps it was on vol.1? There's a CD on Viper's Nest, but it's not on
> there. There was also a Grannyphone LP.

Thanks, Julian -- I'll keep an eye out. Meanwhile, here is a YouTube
post with Take 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSACek4GBdo

And I erred slightly -- on both takes, there are only three (claps)
in the vocal in question.

Take care,

Joe
--
"Watch a cat when it enters a room for the first time. It searches
and smells about, it is not quiet for a moment, it trusts nothing