[78-L] Pre-1010 German Grammophon Opera Sets A-F

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Jun 15 11:15:10 PDT 2011

Pardon the cross-postings, but I am looking for any collector or archive
which might have any of the album sets which the German branch of
Grammophon recorded and released between 1907 and 1909.  I briefly saw
one of them, Set E Carmen, in a TV show and have a screen shot but would
like better images.  It shows silver lettering and an illustration with
Carmen's dress colored a vivid red.  I would like to be able to get
photographs of the covers and album spines of these albums.  Here is the
list from page 1252 of Alan Kelly's German HMV discography.

Set A  Die Fladermaus  (Johan Strauss)
Set B  Die lustige Witwe  (Franz Lehar)
Set C  Ein Walzertraum  (Oscar Straus)
Set D  Faust  (Charles Gounod)
Set E  Carmen  (Georges Bizet)
Set F  Der Zigeunerbaron  (Johan Strauss)

I am likewise interested in any other illustrated album covers from this
period and the teens.  I have info and images of the English HMV albums
of Gilbert and Sullivan and Wagner from the late teens, but still need
the images of the several other operettas they issued this way.

Thanks for any help or leads you might be able send.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com