[78-L] Benny's character - was 25 years ago today

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Tue Jun 14 15:49:23 PDT 2011

There are two uproarious chapters on Benny Goodman in my biography of Terry Gibbs, "Good Vibes." In it, Benny (who Gibbs refers to as "El Foggo") even forgot his wife's name and called HER "Pops." Benny was perpetually in left field, according to Gibbs, practicing his clarinet in the nude, forgetting pianist Bernie Leighton's name and calling him "Teddy Wilson" on national TV, and not paying for cheap breakfasts for his band members.

Cary Ginell