[78-L] 25 years ago today

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Tue Jun 14 10:01:14 PDT 2011

On 6/14/2011 12:32 PM, simmonssomer wrote:
> > From everything I've read and according to musicians I've spoken with
> he was difficult. But then , so was Tommy Dorsey and Glenn Miller to name
> only two of many.

I think all of us who work in media can acknowledge that many (most?)
performers are driven, perfectionist, and even egocentric. I have seen
it first-hand with talk-show hosts and even some well-known disc
jockeys, so I can only imagine how it is with bandleaders. And yes, I
have heard some stories about Benny Goodman being difficult.  But that
said, he also had an integrated band at a time when most bands were not
integrated, is that not so?