[78-L] Waring's "Freshie" -- alternate take!

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Sat Jun 11 11:30:09 PDT 2011

Greetings from FixitLand!

I've just come across a low-fi transfer of what appears to be Take 2
of "Freshie" by Waring's Pennsylvanians, source unknown. My copy of
Victor 19784-A has PBVE 141-4, as quoted on the EDVR. Was Take 2
actually also issued on the 78, or is there an LP and/or CD floating
around? I checked the RCA Victor Vintage Waring LP; that title's not
on it.

The "story" of PBVE 141, according to EDVR (details added):

Symphony Hall, Music Art Studio Building [232 S. Hill St.], Los
Angeles, 7 September 1925.
[Recorded at 77.00 rpm]

-1  Destroyed
-2  "Master/hold"
-3  Destroyed
-4  "Hold/master" (Victor 19784)

It appears that Take 2 was chosen as the Master initially, but
relegated in favor of Take 4 at some point. EDVR shows no issue of
Take 2.

Main difference between the two is at about 2:16, where the band
chants "By gosh we'll pull his panties down and (clap clap clap clap)
SPANK IT..." On Take 2, the word "panties" is in the same pitch, but
in Take 4, the first syllable is emphasized slightly and raised in
pitch ("PAN-ties"). Other than that, I don't discern any real
difference.

Anyone know about the issue of PBVE 141-2?

Take care,

Joe
--
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and
cats."--Albert Schweitzer