[78-L] Deceased boppers

Eric Goldberg ericgoldie2 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 1 16:23:18 PDT 2011

Whenever a great, yet still promising musician dies, it is shocking. Think of this list of early deaths many of whom recorded in the later days of the 78.

The road claimed a number of great be bop players: Clifford Brown. Richie Powell and Doug Watkins.

And let's not forget early deaths from illness that took Booker Little (23 from kidney failure), Eric Dolphy (35 diabetes complications), John Coltrane (who was only 40), Bobby Jaspar (37 heart attack), Bobby Timmons (38 cirrhosis).

Wardell Gray (34) broken neck, possibly murdered.

Early death from drugs include Richie Twardzik (24), Emily Remler (32)

The list could go on and on, but it breaks my heart to think about it.

Eric