[78-L] Matrix Numbers Question

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri May 27 13:19:15 PDT 2011

And some of those side joins were truly lousy, like the big hole just before
"The Great Gate at Kiev" on first issues of the Rodzinski Pictures at an
Exhibition, a pitch change between the two parts of Beethoven's Coriolan
Overture (Mitropoulos), repeated notes etc. But there's one recording where
either they did play through or the side turned out to be too long, and the 78
issue has a horrible fade up at the start of one side (Rodzinski, Under The
Spreading Chestnut Tree).

Those 16-inch lacquers weren't totally quiet..I've heard surface noise from
them on some lps as well as some 78s.

Oberstein seems to have used 16-inch lacquers as original source material as
well. There are two quite different issues of Johnny Messner's "She Had to Go
and Lose It at the Astor" which, when corrected for speed (one up and one
down), prove to be the same recording. And a 45 RPM issue of Jan Peerce singing
"Vesti la Giubba" is dubbed from a very scratchy 33rpm.

I don't want to know about that Benny Goodman pair of different takes Mr. Knox
writes about.

dl