[78-L] Gramola Records

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Fri May 27 02:48:12 PDT 2011

Gramola was, originally, a label used in the late 1920's by the Czech
branch of the Gramophone Company, drawing from the HMV catalogue.
See Caruso-records on Gramola, for instance:
http://cgi.ebay.es/ENRICO-CARUSO-FRANCES-ALDA-Trovadore-rare-Gramola-/150558209447

Both stickers and original labels with the Gramola name were used. See
http://www.tedstaunton.com/labels/1920_1929/pages/Gramola_Record/gramola_record.html

It seems that in 1929 the Gramophone Company reorganised its business in
Central Europe and Gramola became the new Austrian label name for its
records. It's still in business.
Kristjan

is the oldest Austrian record label, founded in 1929. The label's
homepage is vague on how it came to be, but it seems that the Austrian
branch of the Gramophone Company in that year took over a bancrupted
Czechoslovakian label (founded in 1924) with the same name. The logo,
seen here, is similar inlayout to HMV, but without the dog.
According to the label's website, however, there's still a copy off
Barraut's dog and gramophone painting inthe offices at the Graben.
See
http://www.discogs.com/label/Gramola
https://www.gramola.at/de/service/ueberuns/
and