[78-L] Lambert cylinder needed

Ray Kilcoyne kil at roadrunner.com
Thu May 26 01:57:12 PDT 2011

From: Michael Biel
It's not odd.  It's Whitburn for pete's sake!  WHY ARE YOU PAYING ANY
ATTENTION TO WHITBURN??????  That book (Pop Memories) has been
thoroughly discredited for the pre-1940 material.  It is GARBAGE!  Burn
it.  Put it in your outhouse for toilet paper.  But don't pay any
attention to what is printed on the paper.

Mike (and I am shouting) Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

One of the things that Whitburn is good for is the dating of popularity,
since he gets his information by poring through periodicals of the time.
And I am much more interested in when a record was popular versus when it
was recorded or released.  For those 1890's listings Whitburn used
Phonogram's issues for the first part of the decade and then catalogues from
Columbia, Edison, Berliner, etc. plus ASCAP.

Looking into this case of BYE BYE MY HONEY more closely I found that
Whitburn's 1898 Edison number is 4001, while UCSB's 1904 Edison number is
8629 and it is called Edison Gold Moulded.  It seems to me that Golden
recorded it more than once for Edison.  We know he recorded it many times
because my MP3 is from Columbia and the one Erwin Kluwer is looking for is
from Lambert.

By the way the cleaner Edison copy that Mark Bardenwerper posted was listed
as 1898 although no record number was given.
RayK
RayK