[78-L] Discos Atlanta (Buenos Aires)

Benno Häupl goldenbough at arcor.de
Tue May 24 12:58:23 PDT 2011

Gentile Francesco,
Atlanta was only one of many labels that BEKA issued for overseas sales.
Beka had separate labels for material sold in Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil etc.
I always heard the story in a different way. Supposedly Beka went ahead
systematically to find trade partners in South America who would record and
market the records on their 'national Beka subsidiary label'.

I do not think that it will be possible to find out who the recording engineer
was in Argentina (who would probably also record in other South American
countries), because all the files and archives on Ritterstrasse in Berlin-Kreuzberg
were destroyed in the February 3 and 26, 1945, bombings. Ritterstasse was the center
for record companies (I have identified about 150 of them on, or right off, Ritterstrasse).
See these links:
http://www.kreuzbergmuseum.de/index.php?id=115
http://www.berlinonline.de/berliner-zeitung/archiv/.bin/dump.fcgi/2000/0203/lokales/0002/index.html

Unless we can find an article in the 1913-1917 issues of the German trade magazines
'Die Sprechmaschine' or 'Phonographische Zeitschrift', we will never know who
the engineer was who went to South America with this Beka recording equipment.

Tip of the hat!
Benno