[78-L] Sales figures

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon May 23 10:24:15 PDT 2011

On 5/22/2011 8:55 PM, Rodger Holtin wrote:
> There must be some solid figures floating around somewhere. Jack Palmer told me he knew how many "Prisoners Songs Victor really did
> sell and I think it's in his book, but I can't find it at the moment.
> I can find this: In his "Bix Beiderbecke Story" (1998) Phil Evans quotes a number of sales figures for Goldkette and Whiteman Victors and Whiteman Columbias.  On page 281Goldkette's "Blue River" is quoted as selling 73,487 copies; on pg 304 Whiteman's Washboard Blues sold 120,676.  He also cites a few Okehs: "Borneo" by Trumbauer at 3,000 and "Somebody Stole My Gal" by Bix and His Gang sold 2,400.  The last record in the book, Hoagy's "Georgia On My Mind" sold 3,641

There sometimes are production figures on the Victor Blue Cards and on
the Columbia slips, but the are not consistent, not complete, and do not
show returns info.  Sometimes they only show the initial pressing order.
In many newspaper and magazine articles around the time of the 1940
price reductions it was often said that Columbia and Victor would not
release sales figures except as percentages of increase in sales before
and after the price drop.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com