[78-L] Amazon Vitaphone DVD sales!!

Steve Williams jazzhunter at collector.org
Mon May 23 03:49:04 PDT 2011

------------------------------

Yah, it's actually "Classic" movie shorts, the Amazon title is wrong.  It's
devoted to MGM shorts. Highlights are the 1928-29 Metrotone shorts with
Locust Sisters, Marion Harris, Brox sisters, etc.  I can't recall if the
Capitolians with Dorsey, Mole etc. is in this set. Also the set has all the
"All star" colour shorts like "Starlit at the Lido," and "Cocoanut Grove,"
with a Technicolor Bing Crosby and Mary Pickford.  A favourite of Joe
Showler, "Billy Rose's Casa Manana" has its first release since the second
laserdisc box devoted to the "That's Entertainment" films.  That for sure is
Paul Whiteman conducting the pit orchestra in the opening wideshot pan,
though he contractually was not "allowed" to appear in this film. There's an
as-yet unidentified hot band in "Grandfather Clock," only MGM's second
3-strip Technicolor film.  Also are six instalments of "Martin Block's
Merry-go-round."  While the MGM material is not as generally musically
exciting as the earlier Vitaphone shorts, this is nevertheless an excellent
set with 34 films, most of which are of interest.

..  Steve Williams ..

Message: 13