[78-L] The Ed Wood 78 Mystery

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Fri May 20 14:41:52 PDT 2011

This is the audio from a segment sometimes referred to as "Bela's Bondage Botique" (sic). It is inserted into the old public domain print of Ed Wood's "Glen or Glenda" (1953) and consists of silly peepshow footage, probably shot by Ed Wood, intercut with reaction shots from both Ed and Bela Lugosi that do not appear in any other film. There is no way this sequence could've been intended for the original Glen or Glenda and in modern DVD sources for the film it is no longer present. But it was part of the theatrical print I first saw in 1982. I think this might've been a party reel compiled by Ed Wood not long after Glen or Glenda was finished and somehow wound up being added to the feature.

What I'm curious about are the 78s used for the music in this sequence. I have tentatively identified the first two selections as "Passepied" (only a fragment of it) and "Mop Mop" by John Kirby on Asch, and while I recognize the third tune as the Monti "Csardas" I have no idea what the last one is, nor the klezmorim that plays them.

http://www.box.net/shared/brkk3v0ysm

The fact that the first piece is only a fragment probably means the first 2 and a half minutes of the sequence as a whole is missing.

If you'd like to see it in its original context, it starts at about 6:16 in the following clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY3wE4gANv8&feature=feedlik

and continues through the first 2 minutes of this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR6DeTmsA2g&feature=related

Uncle Dave Lewis
uncledavelewis at hotmail.com