[78-L] Patsy Montana's "I Want to Be a Cowboy's Sweetheart" (was Second Fiddle)

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Fri May 20 12:09:29 PDT 2011

It's not such a far-fetched idea when you consider that "I Want to Be a Cowboy's Sweetheart" was released on eight different labels (Vocalion, OKeh, Melotone, Perfect, Conqueror, Romeo, Oriole, and Banner), not including a post-war Columbia reissue, thus making it available in a variety of nationwide department store chains. The million-selling status also does not necessarily indicate that all copies of the record were sold in 1936 (it wasn't released until January of that year, not in August 1935 when it was recorded) or even during the entire decade of the 1930s. Cumulatively, including the various reissues of the record, it is highly plausible that the record reached million-selling status after a period of time, maybe ten years or more. You have to remember that this was a very popular record that crossed over into pop music circles as well. Although Whitburn's spurious "charts" shows it spending four weeks at Number 10, there had to have been evidence that it was selling well amongst other pop music artists to have triggered any kind of sales reporting during this period.

Cary Ginell