[78-L] Sonny Greer - Matrix with a W

Royal Pemberton ampex354 at gmail.com
Thu May 19 15:42:16 PDT 2011

I know Columbia didn't always have the W on electric matrices they made for
the chain store releases.  The patent licensing agreement with WE stipulated
a royalty to be paid to them on every copy of each record sold which was
recorded with their technology.  From what I understand the 3X5 cards do not
necessarily show whether they're electric or acoustic recordings.  Was that
shown on the session logs?  How did Columbia otherwise keep track of which
matrices were which in-house?

And for how many years was that royalty payment arrangement binding?

Columbia matrices after the ARC takeover appear to continue use of the same
WE equipment until about the end of 1936 or the start of 1937 but no longer
show the W.  Was that newer equipment that started in use at this time
Western Electric or another make?  If another, who made it?