[78-L] the 'deadest' consumer audio formats?

David Breneman david_breneman at yahoo.com
Sat May 14 12:01:38 PDT 2011

--- On Sat, 5/14/11, bradc944 at comcast.net <bradc944 at comcast.net> wrote:

> You're thinking of Fidelipac
> cartridges... there was a big hole in the bottom of the case
> towards the front, iirc, and that was for the tape
> transport.  I sued to use them as well in the 70s in
> radio.  Pain in the butt to spool up, but you learned
> how to re-spool 8-track carts from that!

You also had to replace the pressure pads every few years.
The foam would decompose.  I never spooled my own, but
I did have to replace the pressure pads on a couple
hundred carts once.  I've still got a few hundred carts
I need to digitize before my last cart machine bites
the dust.  There is a 78 connection:  Most of the carts
I bought in the 80s and early 90s were the Audiopak
brand made by Capitol.