[78-L] the 'deadest' consumer audio formats?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri May 13 19:50:53 PDT 2011

For a few years I had a combination record player/wire recorder out in the
garage. Bought it for ten bucks, sold it for ten bucks.

Victor Home Recording was actually around for a long time. Blank discs were
still being sold in the mid to early 40s..I had about 500 of them that someone
had used for recording programs off the air. He was buying them in Toronto for
about $1.25 each (12 inch) and dating his recordings, which went up to about
1944. Now that's a difficult format to play back..the modulations are on the
sides of the groove, which is wide, and the average stylus misses them entirely
so you think the disc wasn't recorded. You need a 5 or 6 mil point.

Here's one for you..."Mail-A-Voice". I have a package of "discs" (magnetic
paper) for it.

Brush Mail-A-Voice and the Recordon

A small disk based recording device, broadly similar to a small portable
turntable or a disk cutter but had a magnetic head instead of a
pickup/cutterhead, the recording quality was pretty abysmal. Brush Development
Company started manufacturing the device in 1946 and utilised 9" paper disks
coated with magnetic particles developed by the company in association with 3M
but actually manufactured by Shellmar. The disks and the coating were fairly
rugged and paper was chosen instead of a more durable format because the idea
was that you could mail it directly without packaging and the long term
durability was not a problem since the format was intended for a dictation
recording only (this idea resurfaced with dictation belts), but in the 50's
disks made out of plastics were available. The unit was not a hit but sold
reasonably due to the relatively low price of 40USD which made it one of the
cheapest dictation products that you could buy at the time (there was in fact a
cheaper model available, the 501), it can be seen in operation in at the least
2 Film Noir movies from the early 50, it died out sometime in the 50's
primarily due to the fact that it was difficult to use compared to a tape
recorder but there were also problems with lifetime of the magnetic heads, and
it was a bit primitive, erasing was done by holding a permanent magnet over the
disk. The Mail-A-Voice was manufactured under license by the British company
Thermionic Products as the Recordon.

Source: http://audiotools.com/oldf.html .. interesting oddball formats.

dl