[78-L] the 'deadest' consumer audio formats?

Mike Daley mikedaley at gmail.com
Fri May 13 12:38:10 PDT 2011

If I had to guess, the most "obsolete" (keeping in mind that this is an
arguable term) consumer audio formats (in order) would be:

reel-to-reel tape (bonus points for quadrophonic)
8-track
cassettes
78s
vinyl 45s
vinyl LPs
CDs

I'm sure I left out a few...but yes, I would place 78s as "less dead" than
cassettes. I'm judging this partly on the ready availability of working
machines to play these formats. I wouldn't even put DATs and minidiscs in
the running - I never saw them find much of a foothold at all in the
consumer market.

Mike