[78-L] David Stone Martin

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Thu May 12 05:42:43 PDT 2011

Assuming the Asch albums were issued in numerical order (within a series),
the MLW album (351) is not the first DSM cover.
Album 344 Square Dances is signed David Martin.
345 B.Ives is DSM on the early pressing and has a photo on the later issue (why?).
348 Josh White.
102 Bach by Balogh is DSM; 200 is Roosevelt Memorial (pres. 1945).

The numerical order of the 300 series is not clear to me.
Lowest Album nr I know is 330.
Similar odd starts(?) in 400 & 600 series; the 500 series starts with 550.

Han Enderman
===
>>> Possible, but the Waller album was recorded 4 or 5 months before the Mary Lou
Williams set claimed as the first. February and March 1944 vs August. We need
to find a release date for it.

dl

On 5/11/2011 10:27 PM, Han Enderman wrote:
> A DSM website:
> http://www.birkajazz.com/archive/stoneMartin.htm
> says the Mary Lou Williams Asch album is the first.
>
> han enderman
> ===
> first? I found the Fats Waller Memorial Album on Signature, though it says Asch
> Records Release on the cover (and no information about the performers, who are
> Earl Hines and Nat Jaffe and company) and it has the first DSM cover I've ever
> seen that I'd say is actually quite lousy.
> <<<
<<<