[78-L] Help on background of 1962 78 by The Pearls

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Wed May 11 15:32:19 PDT 2011

Bear with me -- this is about 78s!

I'm trying to find out something about a 1962 girl group, possibly
black, that had a 1962 release on Warner Brothers. The group is
called The Pearls and the songs are Happy Over You (Leo McCorkle) b/w
If I Had a Choice (McCorkle/ Henry). A 45 was issued on Warner
Brothers in the USA on catalogue #5300. In the Philippines (God love
'em!) this made it on 78 in late 1962 -- same catalogue number.

Other details -- The group was 'under the supervision of Stan
Applebaum. The record is 'A GPB production Arranged by Bert Keyes'.

The writer, Leo McCorkle, is a New York musician who is known among
Northern Soul fans for his songs and productions as well as a release
of Popside records called Please Send me a Somebody Else in 1967.
Appaently his full name was William Leo McCorkle. The 'Hnery on the
flip is a K. Henry who co-wrote a Crystals lp track called Frankenstein Twist.

Stan Appelbaum is well known for arrangements from Glenn Miller to Ben E King

All that said -- I can't find anything about the group The Pearls.
Its not a 50s R&B group and not the 70s girl group fom the UK.

Any help appreciated

Oh -- its a great girl group/ northern soul track even better at 78!