[78-L] Age of Collectors (WAS Kurt Nauck's Auctions)

Doug Duncan d_duncan at ntlworld.com
Wed May 11 10:01:41 PDT 2011

On 10/05/2011 19:22, Erwin Kluwer wrote:
> Would be fun to add the total of years collecting in this group!!
>
> Let's start: Anrea, Mike and myself are good for 93 years... Others: please
> add up...!!
>
> Erwin
>
> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 8:17 PM,<N7MW at aol.com>  wrote:

I'm 56 and I have been collecting 78s since I bought an AMI Model B
Jukebox in the early 1990s. The Jukebox was bought because I am
interested in the variety of ways that some engineer has solved the
problem of handling a circular slice of material that has music encoded
on it. So I've been buying 78s to put into it for about 20 years.  I
find myself buying things according to the weather and my state of mind.
Sometimes dubs will do just as well as originals but I'll buy either if
I can afford them. I still tend to avoid putting the expensive
(relatively!) stuff into the jukebox even though it has never damaged
anything. The arm is not as light as a modern hi fi type but, as I say,
there is nothing to suggest that there is anything to worry about there.

I have , however, been collecting the music since the 60s. A school
friend played me Ja-da by Kid Ory on a beautiful wind-up portable that
had polished nickel fittings and a blue velvet cloth. I was about 14 and
I've been buying music in different formats and listening to it since.

Doug