[78-L] Dalhart Black Patti^

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue May 10 16:41:30 PDT 2011

From: "Taylor Bowie" <bowiebks at isomedia.com>
>> How much would a broken copy of "The Broken Record" fetch?
>>      Julian Vein
>
> My favorite part of the lyric to that tune is "the needle caught on the
> broken half."
> What the Hell does that mean???  If it's broken in half,  BOTH  halves
> would be "the broken half."

The interesting thing is that the record would have to be CRACKED...
and NOT broken! An actual BROKEN record could not be played
(unless one has both halves...!) As far as "the broken half," it would
appear the lyricist simply needed a rhyme for "phonograph"...?!

This was one of my favourite records when I was four or five...!

Steven C. Barr