[78-L] Age of Collectors (WAS Kurt Nauck's Auctions)

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue May 10 15:38:49 PDT 2011

No, but that was a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away. Or when the earth
was green. That's what my Saturdays were like as well..downtown Toronto had the
main "Cripps" (Society for Crippled Civilians, I kid you not, before being
renamed Goodwill) plus a couple of satellite stores, the main Salvation Army
Store on Richmond, St. Vinnies, "Jack Himself--From Soup to Nuts" where 78s
were a dollar a dozen..plus a cheeseburger of dubious provenance at Frank's
(Yonge and Dundas). Made me what I am today. Especially the dubious cheeseburgers.

dl

On 5/10/2011 6:09 PM, Taylor Bowie wrote:
> Not impossible,  but not like the days when I could hop on the bus Saturday
> morning and make the rounds of Good Willie,  Veteran's,  Sally,  Vinnie,
> etc.  and pretty much every time come home with a couple dozen late 20s
> dance bands in nice shape,  as well as the occasional jazz gem.  I recall a
> miserable time when I found 32 thick Edisons,  mostly paper labels including
> a few electrics,  for five cents each,  and having to haul 'em home on the
> bus...man,  I was dedicated back then.
>
> Taylor

>>> 1965 you could still get lots of good pop (and even some jazz) 78s from
>>> the