[78-L] Penny Points To Paradise

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue May 10 12:38:07 PDT 2011

Just been watching this film from 1951, which was recently shown on Sky
Arts 2. Before I watched it, the title seemed familiar although I knew
I'd never seen it.

Watching the opening credits I realised why the title was familiar--the
cast included Felix Mendelssohn and His Hawaiian Serenaders, who are
featured briefly. I suddenly remembered reading about the film in the
notes to a Harlequin Mendelssohn CD.

The film features an early appearance by the Goons and is pretty dire
with a threadbare plot, padded out with sketches, one of which is
brilliant, the rest much less than that.

     Julian Vein