[78-L] Kurt Nauck's Auctions.

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon May 9 19:26:35 PDT 2011

From: "Julian Vein" <julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk>
<snip>
>  I also object to your repeated assertions that 78 collectors are all
> retirees. What survey is that based on?
> Maybe Kurt could conduct a profile of his clients and tell us what age
> group bids on his auctions. I bet you'd be surprised.
> Cary Ginell
> ================
> At the recent Croydon record fair I was able to pick up 78s for GBP1
> ($1.60) - GBP2 ($3.20) each, mainly American Dance Band stuff. There
> were probably thousands there that either I didn't want or already had.

I no longer recall the exact details; however IIRC there was an
informal survey of 78-L taken per the age of its listeners, and the
result was near 60. Assume that was five years ago...and our
average age would now be at or a bit past 60...!

Further, it would seem plausible that those who collect 78's probably
grew up listening to them; the last 78's were pressed in the late 50's
(a couple years later up here in Canada). If we assume this 78 listener
was at least 12...he she it was born in the early 40's (as I was). That in
turn suggests an age in the sixties...!

There was a brief "swing revival" a few years back; the result was
3-speed players, usually without the .003" needles needed to
properly play 78's...! I am still buying 78's via a local record
store...which accepts lots for resale and then contacts me...!
I pay a few cents per record...and haul them home to be added
to my "half-vast shellac archive." I also buy many from "NickJay."

Steven C. Barr