[78-L] Collections, lists

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Mon May 9 11:58:30 PDT 2011

Greetings from FixitLand!

Steven C. Barr wrote:

> ...I have already picked up around 100 78's put out as trash in my
> "boulevard surplus" project (as well as several nice winter coats
> and enough chairs to provide me with seating on my verandah!)
> I have also purchased some 20,000 VERY miscellaneous 78's
> via a local dealer; he knows I collect 78's and thus will help
> anyone out who is "stuck: with a lot of 78's...! I have no idea if the
> owner of the 78's gets paid anything; however I usually wind up
> paying a few cents each for large quantities of 78's...!

All that is cool...It's been my experience, though, that when someone
finds out you're interested in 78s and offers you a lot of records
(usually sight unseen), your mind imagines box upon box full of
gorgeous records, each one sleeved, containing wonderful jazz or rare
big-band (or whatever your preferred genre of music might be). What
do you actually end up with? Box upon box full of 1940s-era album
sets of Bing Crosby and other black-label Decca artists, "well-
loved," sans booklets, with broken and/or missing records, and water-
damaged or otherwise scarred album covers; several talking-book or
learn-a-language records (not even 78 speed); seven V----- copies of
"Near You"/"Red Rose" on Bullet; and lots of that well-known and well-
disregarded organ player who claims you can't be true, dear.

But hey...I once found a fairly nice 1963 silver dime in the bottom
of an album pocket. And someone gave me an album of 78s that had a
copy of Victor 23008 (Bix Beiderbecke) in it.

Take care,

Joe
--
"It is a matter to gain the affection of a cat. He is a philosophical
animal, tenacious of his own habits, fond of order and neatness, and