[78-L] Swing Time, Down Beat questions

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Sun May 8 22:01:48 PDT 2011

Jack Lauderdale started the Downbeat Record Company in 1947. For the first couple of years Downbeat (or Down Beat) was challenged by legal problems because of the famous jazz magazine that bore the same name. This resulted in a series of label name changes; first to Swing (there was only one release with this name), then Swing Beat for the Christmas 1947 catalog and subsequent recordings after the 1948 strike and into 1949. In October 1950 it was changed again to Swing Time. Ray Charles' first release was on Down Beat 171.

As for the numbering system, I believe that the numbering was not interrupted by the changes in the label names and continued, but I can't be certain of this without doing more research. The only Down Beat record I own is the aforementioned disc above by The Maxin Trio (actually the McSon Trio, with a misheard name), which included Brother Ray's first vocals: "I Love You, I Love You" and "Confession Blues."

Cary Ginell