[78-L] Buying a record in pieces (was Dalhart Black Patti)

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Sun May 8 21:00:56 PDT 2011

Reminds me of the time I bought the disc from the extremely valuable "Rock 'n' Roll 'n' Robbins" 10-inch Columbia LP by Marty Robbins in a used record store for two bucks. This was one of the last items in Columbia's "House Party" series and I knew it was quite valuable. Better to have the disc than nothing, but I had no real hope of ever finding a copy of the jacket without a record inside.

About a year later, I found the cover, displayed for sale at the Pasadena City College swap meet. The price was $125. I thought "who would buy this except me, since I have the record?" I told the seller this in order to bargain the price down, but instead of doing so, he offered to buy my LP for $75. I said no and offered him $75 for his cover. For a couple of hours, there was a stand-off, with neither of us budging - me selling my LP or him selling his jacket and each of us wanting what the other had. Eventually, I wore him down when he realized nobody but me would buy an empty jacket. I got it for $75. The complete package is worth at least $500 today. Never had anything else like that happen to me since.

Cary Ginell