[78-L] Collections, lists

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Sun May 8 09:52:31 PDT 2011

I have a listing for every song or selection on every record I own in a Filemaker database that I update regularly with new acquisitions. No record gets shelved until it is inputted into the system, which keeps the floor clean. I can find anything I own in about 30 seconds to a minute. I decided on this system some years ago to make hunting for items to play on my radio show easier. A few minutes every week or so is all it takes to maintain. My database now has 233,224 individual entries, representing some 30,000 discs and CDs. Until I did this, I merely had a "collection" or "accumulation" of records. Now I can call it a "library" or an "archive." Shelf space is holding its own because I've cut down on acquisitions. Gotta live within your means.

Cary Ginell